Tuesday 2 October 2007

Japanese Freak

Today I am going to write about that japanese hero of a lot children: Takahashi Meijin.

This guy was working in the videogame industry when the ultimate game system was Nintendo -- that 8-bit console. He worked in Hudson Software and the main character of the game Adventure Island is himself. In fact, the japanese name of that game is Takahashi Meijin no Bouken Jima.


Adventure Island cover



But he is not only a videogames developer is an autentic crack that is able to hit 16 times a second the gamepad buttons. This is so powerful that he can split a watermelon only with his fingers:





Although, his greatest achievement was the Game King title in 1995. That is like the "Japanese Videogame Championship", but on tv. This is the opening of the special program:





And this is the competition.





After that he received the title of Meijin, that is a title with deep roots in the Japanese culture and you can translate to the occidental idea of Master of the Universe. Actually, Meijin is the title that has the champion of one of the most important and old go championships that started in the Edo period.

But all this formal title didn't prevent that he made that on tv:





PS: Please, forgive that post! The main reason for writing that is that I am too lazy to search this youtube links each time I need to show this to somebody.

10 comments:

Tonecas said...

What is that, Sebas?
Oh my good, in this last post there isn't any story yours.
Maybe you were very bored yesterday.
Yeah, I think so!

Sebastián Ortega said...

Maybe you are right. Yesterday I was reading very boring papers about watermarking and that history was idead to forget for a while the work.

Chus said...

Is that really real?? I mean, i can't even see his finger when the watermelon explodes!!!
Well, anyway, now i have you "Rssed" so i can read you more frequently.
Have a nice time there!

Sr. Rivera said...

This is the best post, 'cause it is about some really intesting characters.
Oh, I'm sorry about the other day call. We were drunked, you know.

Arturo said...

what? ... i've seen a watermelon blowing up :-O ... OMG! ... --- ... I can imagine these guys fighting in a battle of honor, one of them using emacs and the other one with the vim ... even if this case were real, this videogame challenge for a archaic Meiijn title is too bizarre ...

Bored or not, "sigues en tu linea", hahaha

Anonymous said...

Oh my God! I think I can't say anything but that.

Come back to our world Sebas!

tsipi said...

show me much more, my internet freak site master :D

Sebastián Ortega said...

Don't worry Tsipi. I will show you so much that you will need to be as strong as a Polish truck driver.

Ramón said...

Sebas enano habla castellano

Sebastián Ortega said...

Desde luego Vicente, siempre dando la nota con tus comentarios...